Aligning RA cross to NCP cross

Using SharpCap's Polar Alignment feature
Robby9newbie

Aligning RA cross to NCP cross

Post by Robby9newbie »

Hi all
I have been using SharpCap to polar align for a few times now and I have been aligning the red RA cross to the green NCP cross instead of moving the selected star into the yellow box. As the alignment becomes better during the adjustment phase I can see that the selected star is moving towards the yellow box as well as the 2 crosshairs coming closer together

Is the way that I have been doing it by aligning the 2 crosshairs together or should I be using the suggested method in the manual. It just seems more intuitive to me to align the RA axis to the NCP

Thanks from Canada 🇨🇦
Robin
Robby9newbie

Re: Aligning RA cross to NCP cross

Post by Robby9newbie »

Hi all
Just wondering if anyone is using this technique to polar align instead of moving the target star along the yellow line into the yellow box
Thanks
A different Robin in Canada 🇨🇦
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

The technique you describe will work perfectly well, but sometimes one cross all the other may not be in view and in those cases it could not be applied. That's the reason for the arrow to put the star in the yellow box as it's best to have just one set of instructions that will work under all circumstances.

Hope this helps, Robin
Robby9newbie

Post by Robby9newbie »

Thanks for the confirmation Robin
A different Robin in Canada 🇨🇦