Not solving

Using SharpCap's Polar Alignment feature
colin

Not solving

Post by colin »

Hi, hoping someone might be able to help. I have tried unsuccessfully on two nights but can't get Sharpcap to solve at all. I should point out I only installed the app last week and got the Pro license on Sunday. My setup for alignment is:

50mm Orion mini guidescope (162mm focal length) mounted in finder shoe of a pier mounted 10" TS Optics Newtonian
Location: 175deg 28min East 41 deg 05 Min South (that's lower North Island, New Zealand)
Manual polar alignment: Altitude set with digital protractor, Azimuth by compass allowing for 22+ degrees of mag declination (crazy but true) - I made a wooden jig to fit to the pier to extend the compass so it wouldn't be affected by the huge chunk of steel. Hopefully I am close.

I have tried multiple settings of gain, star width etc but never get a solve. I have tried waiting 10 minutes or more while Sharpcap does it's thing but still no luck. I enter my co-ordinates in settings and allow for refraction. Depending on the gain settings etc Sharpcap detects anywhere from 3 to 20+ stars. I have attached a snapshot (excuse the focus I think I jogged the guidescope ring) in case that helps. I'm pretty sure I'm doing something wrong,but I think I've followed all the instructions plus the troubleshooting post and now I'm out of ideas. I'm going to be clouded out for the next 4 or 5 nights so I'm hoping to get some insights in the meantime.
Help and advice gratefully received.
Attachments
Capture_00001.png
Capture_00001.png (734.86 KiB) Viewed 2639 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: Not solving

Post by admin »

Hi Colin,

this is an easy one to diagnose - uploading your image to the Astrometry.Net plate solving web site gives these results

http://nova.astrometry.net/user_images/ ... #annotated

Center (RA, Dec): (343.842, -79.851)
Center (RA, hms): 22h 55m 22.057s
Center (Dec, dms): -79° 51' 02.075"
Size: 1.56 x 1.17 deg

So the problem is that you are too far away from the SCP - you need to get within 5 degrees of the pole to be within the range of SharpCap's plate solving database, and you are 10 degrees off.

cheers,

Robin
colin

Post by colin »

Thanks Robin

I thought it was me. But I wonder why my PA is that far off. Maybe I didn't get far enough away from the pier with the compass. Now just need to wait for the clouds to go.

Colin
colin

Post by colin »

At last no clouds. Having realigned with a different compass (I have no idea what went on originally, lets put it down to user error), I immediately got a solve, and from there on it was plain sailing - apart from the incredibly sensitive altitude adjusters on the HEQ5. Really nice piece of software, thanks.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Excellent, good to hear that it is working now!

Robin