Polar alignment with Lodestar x2 mono guide camera

Using SharpCap's Polar Alignment feature
groberts

Polar alignment with Lodestar x2 mono guide camera

Post by groberts »

I'm planning to use Sharpcap mainly for Polar alignment using a Starlight Express Lodestar X2 mono guide camera, combined with a William Optics 200mm FL x 50mm guide scope, which I calculate provides a FOV of 1.85 x 1.38 degrees. I've been using this set-up successfully with PHD2 for sometime.

Given the above parameters + before proceeding any further with Sharpcap Pro I want to confirm:

1. Will the pixel size of 8.6 x 8.3 nm, which is not square, work OK with Sharpcap and plate solving, which I understand is an integral part of the polar alignment routine?

2. Is the FOV OK?

3. Will the installed ASCOM driver for this camera which I use with PHD2 be OK with Sharpcap or do I need something else - if so which one?

Thanks, Graham
admin
Site Admin

Re: Polar alignment with Lodestar x2 mono guide camera

Post by admin »

Hi Graham,

I've had plenty of reports of people using the lodestar camera successfully for polar alignment, but I haven't used it that way myself. The pixel don't deviate very far from being square I think this is within tolerance of the polar alignment algorithms. Of course you can always run the polar alignment as far as measuring your inaccuracy of alignment without needing the pro licence to check that everything is working nicely.

Cheers, Robin