Sub-stacks ?

Discussions of Electronically Assisted Astronomy using the Live Stacking feature.
SteveInNZ

Sub-stacks ?

Post by SteveInNZ »

Would it be possible to add a sub-stacking function where you save the stack after X exposures repeatedly ?
The idea being for example, take 30 second subs and every 10 subs the stack is saved and the stack restarted. At the end of the hour you have 30, 5 minute exposures rather than the risk of a single 1 hour stack or the disk consumption of 120 30 second subs.

Steve.
dts350z

Re: Sub-stacks ?

Post by dts350z »

I've been wondering about something similar.

For max dynamic range with these new cooled CMOS cameras the sub exposures can be pretty short (especially under light polluted skies), but if you have/need hours and hours of data stacking all at once becomes problematic (for my amount of ram about 300 subs is the limit) so I'm wondering if live stacking some amount of subs before the final stack in ccdstack, DSS, pixinsite, etc. would make sense?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

@Steve,

you imply that you are saving the RAW frames during stacking otherwise disk consumption would not be an issue. Not sure how that would be improved with an 'auto reset' on live stacking as the RAW frames would still be there.

I can see though that the idea of this sort of auto-reset has now been requested a number of times, so I will see what can be done for 3.2 or 3.3

cheers,

Robin
SteveInNZ

Post by SteveInNZ »

Currently you have the option to save the RAW frames (taking lots of disk space) or not saving them (putting all your eggs in one stacked frame). If you just saved a sub-stack every 10 frames for example, you'd use a tenth of the disk space and reduce the risk over having just a single image file at the end.

Steve.