using autostretch and more

Discussions of Electronically Assisted Astronomy using the Live Stacking feature.
urbanite

using autostretch and more

Post by urbanite »

I am new here. So apologies if this question has been raised before.

When using LiveStack with the intention of saving as viewed, should 'autostretch' be toggled on, and other parameters then adjusted for best displayed histogram and image?

Also, I notice from videos of other imagers using SharpCap that the targets on their screens seem to become visibly brighter with each additional sub frame. I do notice a definite improvement in signal to noise as frames are stacked. But the target doesn't seem to brighten much after the first few frames.

I image from a very light polluted area, so sky glow is a major headache.

Many thanks
admin
Site Admin

Re: using autostretch and more

Post by admin »

Hi,

the way that the noise reduces with each stacked frame is the correct way for live stacking to work. Once the noise is reduced you can increase the amount of stretch applied (to taste as it were) which will make the faint image brighter.

Auto-stretch is not an on/off thing. When you press the button it tries to set a stretch that works well for the current image - you can then freely make further tweaks to the stretch by dragging the vertical bars to get the image looking just right. You should do this until you are satisfied before saving 'as viewed'.

cheers,

Robin
urbanite

Re: using autostretch and more

Post by urbanite »

Thanks, Robin !