LiveStacked frames and PixInsight

Discussions of Electronically Assisted Astronomy using the Live Stacking feature.
Monika

LiveStacked frames and PixInsight

Post by Monika »

Hello! I am learning to process images for the first time, using PixInsight. I am wondering about which frames to process after doing Live Stack on SC.

1. If I saved both raw and stacked frames from SC LiveStack, is it okay to process only the stacked frames to PixInsight? This seems more efficient because the live stacked frames are already calibrated, aligned, and filtered according to brightness/fwhm. Or are live-stacked photos only meant for tracking/live assessment of your data while imaging with SC?

2. If it is okay to process the live-stacked frames, can I then skip calibrating/aligning/filtering again in PixInsight since this was already done in SC?

I just want to make sure im understanding everything correctly. Not sure if PixInsight has some kind of better algorithm for calibrating/aligning/filtering.

Thank you very much for any advice!
admin
Site Admin

Re: LiveStacked frames and PixInsight

Post by admin »

Hi,

here's the two ways you can do it

1) Process the saved live stacked images in PixInsight. As you noted these are already calibrated, aligned, etc. If you do this you must not try to use darks or flats in the PixInsight processing!

2) Process the raw images in PixInsight - if you do this you *do* need to use darks/flats in PI - basically this is just the same as processing images straight off the camera if you had not used live stacking. You might get good results using the dark/flat frames you used in SharpCap (some people have success with that approach, some do better by capturing separate dark/flats and allowing PI to make the master dark/flat).

cheers,

Robin
Monika

Post by Monika »

Thanks Robin - is either 1) or 2) in your response better than the other? or is it personal preference?
procyon12

Post by procyon12 »

Hi Monika,

If you want to learn PixInsight I recommend 2), start in PI with the "Batch Preprocessing" script (BPP).

Cheers and good luck

Christian
Monika

Post by Monika »

okay thanks very much!
Monika

Post by Monika »

But would you say processing the raw photos in pixinsight yields better results?
procyon12

Post by procyon12 »

If I understand you right:
SC is mainly a very good capturing sw - and PI is one of the best processing sw. Try both and find out your best way. PI is not so easy at the beginning and has a steep learning curve, but at the end you will have excellent results (... depending also on your raw input). For Pi there are many tutorials and a good forum.

Christian
Monika

Post by Monika »

Okay- I have been looking at Pi tutorials and the forums, I will experiment as you suggested. It is a steep learning curve but i think worth it in the end. Thank you Christian!