Automatic darks

Discussions of Electronically Assisted Astronomy using the Live Stacking feature.
Tiago Ferreira

Automatic darks

Post by Tiago Ferreira »

2 questions if you kindly can response:

1-During a live stacking, pushing darks from drop-down library will not work unless i clear/reset the stack? They have to be pushed before stacking?

2-If i have darks already captured with the same configuration i am using to a new live stack, if i forget to push the darks does sharpcap automatically push them if they already in the dark library? I ask this because i was live stacking a new object and forgot to apply darks and when i remembered, during the live stack, that was already a master dark from the drop menu selected and i suppose, being applied.
Youtube channel: https://youtube.com/@DobsonianPower

12" f/5 Dobsonian GSO
8" f/6 Dobsonian GSO
6" f/5 Dobsonian Go-To Virtuoso Gti
Dwarf II Smart Telescope
Geoptik Eartha Eq Platform
ZWO ASI224MC + ZWO ASI294MC
admin
Site Admin

Re: Automatic darks

Post by admin »

Hi,

dark frames are applied to each new frame before it is added to the stack, so if you turn on darks part way through a stack you will end up with a stack made up of (say) 10 frames without darks and 30 frames with darks.. If you think about it, it's the only way it can work - in live stacking each frame is offset (and possibly rotated) slightly to line up with the other frames in the stack - once you've done that offset or rotate, you can no longer apply a dark frame to the image data.

SharpCap doesn't automatically pick up dark frames for you, but you can set up your favourite camera settings (including dark frames, exposure, etc) and save those as a capture profile - then you can reload that when imaging to get all the options set up in one go.

cheers,

Robin
Tiago Ferreira

Re: Automatic darks

Post by Tiago Ferreira »

I think i found a better and powerful way: the sequencer. It's GREAT for start live stack with all set! Thanks a lot
Youtube channel: https://youtube.com/@DobsonianPower

12" f/5 Dobsonian GSO
8" f/6 Dobsonian GSO
6" f/5 Dobsonian Go-To Virtuoso Gti
Dwarf II Smart Telescope
Geoptik Eartha Eq Platform
ZWO ASI224MC + ZWO ASI294MC