FITS Debayering

Discussions of Electronically Assisted Astronomy using the Live Stacking feature.
Cadmus

FITS Debayering

Post by Cadmus »

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I used the live stacking feature in Sharpcap and ended with a single FITS file and nothing else. During stacking, the image I saw on the screen was coloured. However when I open the file using FITS Liberator, the image is gray. I can see that there are three planes, which I suppose each corresponds to a color. The question is, how can I reconstruct the coloured version from this FITS file?

I saw the pipp tutorial recommended on some other post here, which I followed to a tee, but quite strangely, it only sees a single frame when I upload my file to it, and when I process and save, I get that single frame.

Sorry if all of this sounds obvious but I have only recently started astrophotography.

Kind regards,
Cadmus
admin
Site Admin

Re: FITS Debayering

Post by admin »

Hi,

I think the tutorial you are referring to is the one about debayering a RAW image, which isn't the right solution here - your saved FITS alread has 3 colour planes, it's just that FITSLiberator doesn't really understand that.

PIPP can still handle this for you - open your saved file into PIPP - it should show up as colour in the preview window of PIPP. Then goto the 'Output Options' and choose PNG output format, then go to 'Do Processing' and click 'Start Processing' - you should end up with a colour PNG file.

For future sessions, consider using the 'Save with Adjustments' option in live stacking - this will save a PNG that will match what you see on screen. The FITS option you chose is really for people who want to do significant processing outside SharpCap.

cheers,

Robin
Cadmus

Re: FITS Debayering

Post by Cadmus »

Great, thanks for the tips Robin!