First frame not stacking

Discussions of Electronically Assisted Astronomy using the Live Stacking feature.
Rab722

First frame not stacking

Post by Rab722 »

Often my first frame does not stack and I get this warning

8:06:16 PM WARN Frame not stacked because : Could not obtain write lock within 1s

What does this mean?

Rick
admin
Site Admin

Re: First frame not stacking

Post by admin »

Hi,

basically it's saying that SharpCap is busy using the live stack data for something (displaying the image or saving) at the same time that the frame arrives. Trying to update the live stack data while using it would be a problem – you'd end up viewing or saving a partially updated image, so SharpCap has to wait until the code that is reading the data is finished before starting to update the data. Normally there isn't a collision, or if there is the one second wait is sufficient to allow it to clear, but it sounds like in your case you're hitting that situation repeatedly.

It would be useful to know a few more things about your setup so that I can work out the appropriate way to fix this –

* are you using a particularly slow or old processor on your PC?
* What resolution camera are you using?
* Are you using any of the 'enhancement' features of live stacking - noise reduction or sharpening?
* How long are your frames?

cheers,

Robin
Rab722

Post by Rab722 »

Robin, it's an older Intel I7 laptop with Windows 10
6gb memory (I'll check task manager next time for memory usage)
SSD drive

Camera is ASI533mc 3k x 3k pixels
Usually run 180 sec subs with 120 gain and dither after each frame.
No enhancements just saving subs and viewing the stack live.

I'm running the 32 bit version of your program would the 64 bit be better.

Rick
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Rick,

I don't think the 64 bit version will make much difference unless you find yourself running out of memory, which is a different sort of error to the one you're seeing.

I will try making the amount of time that SharpCap waits longer in that situation – that will go into the 3.3 beta release series, so will be worth keeping your eye out for the next update to that in the beta forum.

Cheers, Robin