Refresh rate too fast

Discussions of Electronically Assisted Astronomy using the Live Stacking feature.
Mario56

Refresh rate too fast

Post by Mario56 »

Hi all,

I am new to Sharpcap and this forum. I use the licensed 3.0 version.

I have a Mallincam DS 2.3 Plus connected to an Acer Intel core i7 with 12 G RAM.

When I try to live stack, I always get "Refresh rate too fast" and Live Stack does not work. Why am I getting this status and how do I correct it?

Also, when I connect my camera, I have a choice of 2 drivers: Mallincam and Mallincam Ascom. Which one should I use?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Mario
admin
Site Admin

Re: Refresh rate too fast

Post by admin »

Hi,

the message you are seeing is telling you that it is taking longer to perform the stacking than the time between successive frames - ie if your exposure is 500ms but it is taking 800ms to do the stacking calculation. There's nothing really bad about this situation except that some of your frames will not be stacked. The easiest solution is to turn up the exposure a bit and turn down the gain.

It's important to note that if you set a 1s exposure time, you should only get 1 frame per second as the frame rate in SharpCap. A very few cameras 'cheat' and keep up a high frame rate even when the exposure is long - they do this by sending the same frame over and over again. This would not be ideal when using Live Stacking as the same calculations would be being run over and over for the same repeated frame image :(

As to choosing ASCOM or not, try both and see which gives you best control of the camera. The ASCOM option will probably give you finer control of the exposure (which is good), but less other controls.

hope this helps,

Robin
Mario56

Re: Refresh rate too fast

Post by Mario56 »

Thx Robin, I will try this solution at my next session and let you know the results.

Mario