Delete the last view only while live stacking

Discussions of Electronically Assisted Astronomy using the Live Stacking feature.
umasscrew39

Delete the last view only while live stacking

Post by umasscrew39 »

While doing live viewing of the Bubble Nebula last night, I caught what appears to be the lights from the Starlight Link satellites that everyone is complaining about. How could I have deleted this one view and continue to stack so I would not have had to start over?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Delete the last view only while live stacking

Post by admin »

Hi,

There is no undo button in live stacking that would remove the most recent frame (and anyway that would have limited use as you may not spot straight away that something like this has happened). The thing that might help is to look into the sigma clipped stacking algorithm which can be selected in the life stacking control panel – this rejects pixel values that are very different to the current value of a pixel after the first 10 or so frames of accumulated. You can find out more about this in the documentation.

Cheers, Robin
umasscrew39

Post by umasscrew39 »

Thanks, Robin. Well, I think an undo button would still be very helpful to have. I will use the sigma clipping feature and play with the values. Perhaps that is the answer to help deal with this issue. The good part is that this is a relatively rare event but not good especially if you have a lot of stacks and it happens at the end. Also, with Musk talking about launching a lot more satellites, this does not bode well for us stargazers.

Thx
Bruce
parallaxm42

Post by parallaxm42 »

I have to agree on the value of having a 'manual' method of frame rejection (in live stacking). I specifically came here searching for some info regarding an 'Undo/Remove last frame' function.

I regularly encounter a need for this. For instance, while imaging deep sky objects with a very wide field, I often have satellites streaking through one or two frames of a 60min accumulation at 2min exposures. This is just one of many examples of having to stop a capture at whatever point a streak occurred. Alarmingly, I now see Starlink satellites in groups of 5 or more traveling together in short strings, making it clear the problem is getting worse as time goes by and they add countless more 'links' to the chain(s).

I appreciate your Sigma Clipping response and will give that method a try, Although it only sounds like a 60% solution given the 'after 10 frames' requirement, and that it is still not a manual solution. In my mind since i'm typically there watching the frames anyway, who better to spot a bad frame than me? And as i said, I regularly do spot them.

Thanks for the great software.

Alex Zarvis
Blackstar Observatory