auto-focusing

Discussions of Electronically Assisted Astronomy using the Live Stacking feature.
umasscrew39

auto-focusing

Post by umasscrew39 »

My scope is up over 11ft in an observatory. So, use of a Bahtinov mask is not practical. For doing live stacking with this type of setup, what is the most practical method in SC to get a good focus of DSOs? I have two motor auto-focuser that are both ASCOM compatible: Moonlite and Celestron that can work on my 11" SCT.
BlackWikkett

Re: auto-focusing

Post by BlackWikkett »

Use a Moonlite myself and usually use Bahtinov mask focusing tool in SC. I have used the SC FWHM and Multi-Star FWHM focus tools successfully. These FWHM tools don't require the mask and should suite your needs. You can connect the focuser via the SC settings / Hardware tab menu.
umasscrew39

Post by umasscrew39 »

Thank you very much- appreciate it.
umasscrew39

Post by umasscrew39 »

I have used the Celestron auto focuser the past 2 nights. I used the FWHM measurement at a star close to the DSO of interest. I used about a gain of 350 with an exposure of 10s. It has worked ok, with a fluctuation in the red, green, and yellow bars as indicated in the SC documentation. Some of the fluctuation you can tell is due to the mirror shifting when moving it IN and OUT. I have not changed the backlash setting. I simply moved the mirror in and out, waiting for things to settle down in the green zone. I am curious if others have found ideal settings to use or perhaps find the Multi-star FWHM measurement approach in or around the DSO of interest to work better.