live stack image vs saved as seen

Discussions of Electronically Assisted Astronomy using the Live Stacking feature.
edgar619

live stack image vs saved as seen

Post by edgar619 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:11 pm

Robin

I am a 3.2 pro license using an ASI 290MM. Recently i began using an Orion ST 80 to image nebula. For reasons i can not determine all my mono nebula images

1] the nebulosity that is quite clear, reasonably bright and detailed in the live stacking image either does NOT appear or is extremely faint in the "saved as seen image" in my SC capture folder.

2] really all the nebula that I have " saved as seen" have been MUCH MUCH MUCH darker...to the point that it is even difficult to make them brighter post processing and have faint nebulosity appear

3] those that i have "saved as adjusted" end up as a Fits file and blown out

4] although not exact , I have never had this wide a variance between live stack and saved captured images when imaging galaxies

what settings could be off? i have gain set usually to 350 although at times it needs to be higher... 400 or above....exposure can range from 10s to 30 s, brightness is set to 1, I have had to occasionally use 2x binning and digital gain 2x-8x...Is it possible filters are causing the problem? is it the default photo SW on Window 10 that is a problem?

I see PIPP is a recommended post process solution path for bringing out the color in color images taken by a 224....before i try it for mono wanted to get your input

i am experienced enough that i should have been able to identify the root cause myself ...so far can't do it

Thanks

Bruce

admin
Site Admin

Re: live stack image vs saved as seen

Post by admin » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:00 pm

Hi,

The 2 options for the live stack save that I think you are referring to are

1) save with adjustments
2) save exactly as seen

The 2nd should save the image in PNG format exactly as you see it on the screen. This will include any adjustments you have made in the live stacking histogram section, the live stacking colour balance and the display histogram control on the right hand side.

The 'save with adjustments' option will give a result that does not include the settings of the display histogram control on the right hand side, but does include the adjustments found within the live stacking panel.

I suspect that you have set a display stretch in the right-hand panel that is brightening the image on screen and then the use of the 'save with adjustments' option will give you the darker image files during experiencing because it does not include that display stretch adjustment. Your options here are to either use the 'save exactly as seen' option or to remove the display stretch adjustment in the control of the right hand side and then use a stronger histogram stretch in the live stacking panel.

Hope this helps, Robin

edgar619

Re: live stack image vs saved as seen

Post by edgar619 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:34 pm

Robin

i will double check these settings of the two options to insure i am in sync with your explanation. I may be having a brain skip as to what happens when i make adjustments with these two histograms and what happens when i then save with either of these two options. I need another viewing session to confirm "why" and solve this

Thx

Bruce