Live Stack: lot of Frames Ignored

Discussions of Electronically Assisted Astronomy using the Live Stacking feature.
scalp007

Live Stack: lot of Frames Ignored

Post by scalp007 »

Hi All,

When I used SharpCap in DSO (here with M57) with my ZWO ASI385MC on my CELESTRON C8 I had a lot of frames ignored, example here: 21 stacked and 58 ignored
Sans titre 1.jpg
Sans titre 1.jpg (209.52 KiB) Viewed 3637 times
Please, do you have any ideas in order to have more frames stacked and less ignored ?

Many thanks for your help.
Regards,

Sylvain
admin
Site Admin

Re: Live Stack: lot of Frames Ignored

Post by admin »

Hi,

look in the 'Status' tab to see how long stacking each frame is taking - if it is over 2s then the reason is that new frames are arriving before the previous frame has finished stacking. The right fix in that case is to use longer exposures!

If that isn't the case then check the brightness filter which you have enabled to see if that is dropping frames, otherwise watch the Log tab which will tell you other info that will help point to the cause of ignored frames.

cheers,

Robin
NeilG

Post by NeilG »

another thought - the C8 @f/10 has quite a narrow field of view and Sharpcap may not be finding enough stars in order to stack properly. Maybe need to play with the # of stars and other factors that could affect how many stars can be seen - maybe increase exposure & gain.

I get a similar problem with my C11 - especially when doing RGB as sometimes the focus is a little off depending which filter is being used - this can also confuse Sharpcap I'm having terrible trouble with M27 at the mo. All I do is not to use livestack, but the normal capture process.

Hope this helps
Neil
Scopes: Celestron C11, 102SLT , Ascension 127mm Apo, Opticstar 152mm Mak, Ascension 80mm Apo
Mounts: EQ8, EQ5 Pro, Nexstar SLT
Imaging: ASI1600MM-Cool, ASI533MC-Pro, ASI290MM, ASI224MC, Quark, QHY5L-II-M,
Opticstar 82 eyepieces, lots of other stuff
scalp007

Post by scalp007 »

Hi Neil,
Hi Robin,

Thanks for your tips, I will try them the next time and get a feedback to you.

Regards,

Sylvain
RMSQueenMary

Post by RMSQueenMary »

I had a similar problem. I lower the frame rate. That helps for me.
galljj

Post by galljj »

+1 on the frame rate issue. Also, try playing with the black level and digital gain settings.

john
galljj

Post by galljj »

Also, I note that you have gain set to auto. I'm not sure what value that might be - but for your camera folks often use gain of 350 or higher.

john