Roundness filter

Discussions of Electronically Assisted Astronomy using the Live Stacking feature.
Yourjones

Roundness filter

Post by Yourjones »

Hello

I understand the FWHM filter is a powerful tool to filter out frames based on quality of star shapes/sizes. I wonder if this algorithm also take star roundness into consideration. Or is there the possibility of adding such a filter in the future updates? :lol:

Thank you ver much!

Lu
admin
Site Admin

Re: Roundness filter

Post by admin »

Hi,

currently the algorithm looks at the roundness (but only to discard stars that are very elongated - these would potentially be other things like double stars and would give incorrect FWHM readings).

The same idea of a roundness filter was suggested in a different thread yesterday. It would be interesting if you found some sample frames - a good one with round stars and a bad one with elongated stars. If you could share them here then I can investigate how well the code might be able to tell between them.

Robin
Yourjones

Re: Roundness filter

Post by Yourjones »

Hi Robin

Thanks for your interest in the expected roundness filter. Unfortunately, I don't have really round stars that I'm satisfied with, but I've got plenty of those with stars that are not round. Should I need, I'd be happy to collect some "round" vs "not round" stars when I run into my next imaging session. Thanks again!

Lu

Crop 1: REALLY, REALLY BAD
not round 1.jpg
not round 1.jpg (981.28 KiB) Viewed 153 times
Crop 2: BAD
not round 2.jpg
not round 2.jpg (978.93 KiB) Viewed 153 times
Crop 3: EQUALLY BAD
not round 3.jpg
not round 3.jpg (971.26 KiB) Viewed 153 times