Live stacking - does "save individual frames" apply dark frame subtraction or is it just the light frame?

Discussions of Electronically Assisted Astronomy using the Live Stacking feature.
ramdom

Live stacking - does "save individual frames" apply dark frame subtraction or is it just the light frame?

Post by ramdom » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:30 am

Hi, I am wondering about the PNG (or FITS) files saved when you check on "save individual frames" - does it apply the dark frame subtraction? I notice in another answer you said that "save raw frames" does not apply the dark frame subtraction but I just wanted to make sure since the current interface I have says "save individual frames" and it means the same thing (unless there's a "save raw frames" option I don't know about). Thanks!

--Ram

admin
Site Admin

Re: Live stacking - does "save individual frames" apply dark frame subtraction or is it just the light frame?

Post by admin » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:29 pm

It saves the raw frame before any processing is done to it.

cheers,

Robin

fyrblade

Re: Live stacking - does "save individual frames" apply dark frame subtraction or is it just the light frame?

Post by fyrblade » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:35 pm

Can you recommend something for the FITS file processing?

I used PIPP but I'm wondering if there is something better - it wouldn't open one of my larger files that was stacked.

ramdom

Post by ramdom » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:11 am

I normally use Nebulosity for processing but lately I've started getting into PixInsight and have a good idea as to how it works (or least starting to "get it"). It's a huge learning curve though (PI that is).

I've also used Registax and I found that's good for stacking and some processing. For the most part, I feel Nebulosity gets it right in terms of balance between ease of use and complexity of features. But PI is more powerful and has a lot more features in it and I think it could technically do everything I currently do using a number of tools like Nebulosity and PhotoShop.

--Ram

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:05 pm

If you are looking for free options then you could consider DeepSkyStacker.

cheers,

Robin