Luminance filter vs Wratten #12

Using SharpCap for other Astro Imaging such as all sky cameras and meteor detection
oopfan

Luminance filter vs Wratten #12

Post by oopfan »

Don't be misled by deceptive marketing that promotes a refractor as "APO-like." I fell for it because I am always looking for a good deal. Well, this deal didn't pay off. In essence, I purchased an Achromat with ED glass. Frankly, I don't know how much of an improvement the glass makes, but I recommend paying the price for an actual APO. I have known for quite some time that my refractor cannot focus blue. Red is excellent, green is OK, but blue is a mess.

Over two consecutive nights, I imaged M34. The left-hand image uses my standard Optolong luminance filter. The right-hand image uses a Wratten #12 (minus blue.) Technically, I piggy-backed the Wratten #12 filter on top of the luminance filter. I did that so that I didn't have to open my filter wheel to replace the luminance filter.

The comparison is stunning. Now all I need to do is figure out how to capture color!

Brian
M34 Luminance vs Wratten #12.jpg
M34 Luminance vs Wratten #12.jpg (273.48 KiB) Viewed 12819 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: Luminance filter vs Wratten #12

Post by admin »

Hi Brian,

what do the stars look like if you use a blue filter and focus specifically for the blue? Presumably it should be possible to get them sharp when doing that. If that's possible then you could capture R/G/B channels and luminance in RG (presuming a mono camera).

cheers,

Robin.
oopfan

Post by oopfan »

Hi Robin,

You would think, but blue just won't focus.

Here is a test I performed recently while capturing NGC 188 with LRGB filters. With each filter change, I adjusted the focus. You can see how blue is a nightmare, and since the luminance passes blue it is also affected:
NGC 188 LRGB stacks side-by-side.png
NGC 188 LRGB stacks side-by-side.png (210.93 KiB) Viewed 12811 times
The best I can figure, the focus error rapidly changes from 400nm to 500nm, while red and green slowly change. Here is a graphic I found at Wikipedia:
Wikipedia Focus Error.jpg
Wikipedia Focus Error.jpg (67.15 KiB) Viewed 12811 times
Other people have complained about this refractor from William Optics. I think it is the ED glass, but I think "ED" stands for something else :-)

Brian
oopfan

Post by oopfan »

Hi Robin,

Next opportunity, I will image M34 again, and capture a stack of W12, R, G, and B.

First, I'll use APP to try to create a color image using W12 as L. Hopefully that will give acceptable results.
Second, I'll borrow a technique from narrowband to create a bi-color image from two channels:

100% of W12 => L
67% of R => R
33% of R + 33% of G => G
67% of G => B

Brian
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Brian,

I see what you mean in the different colour channels, and I think you're right about the speed of the focus point change with wavelength in the blue channel being the cause of the problem. Perhaps if you can get a narrower bandwidth blue filter it might help?

Cheers, Robin
oopfan

Post by oopfan »

Hi Robin,

I will look into a narrow blue filter, but the downside is the increased integration time needed for the blue stack.

Thanks for your help,
Brian
oopfan

Post by oopfan »

Robin,

This filter would probably be helpful, but I would have to 3D-print a custom holder to fit my filter wheel.

Brian
Edmund Blue Bandpass 475CW 50FWHM .jpg
Edmund Blue Bandpass 475CW 50FWHM .jpg (82.43 KiB) Viewed 12762 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

yes, tricky to work out whether it's worth spending money on something like that or putting the same money towards an eventual upgrade to an APO.

Cheers, Robin
oopfan

Post by oopfan »

Exactly my thoughts!